Last Saturday I went with Emily to her dentist to see if I could book in for a routine check-up because dental services are so much cheaper here than in Australia, not thinking that anything major would be wrong. Dr Yugo (a lovely Japanese dentist who's married to a Thai woman) offered to have a quick check after Emily's appointment - and to my horror, after taking an x-ray he informed me that I was in need of root canal surgery and an inlay to my back molar, which I'd chipped a few years ago and it had been repaired with a major filling. I asked how much the root canal would cost and was 6000 Baht - around $AUD200, which is exactly the amount a very generous friend had deposited in my bank account the day before.
Normally this sort of work would take at least a couple of weeks, but we didn't have that long - so Dr Yugo squeezed in a second appointment for me that afternoon to get started, came in on Monday which he normally wouldn't do, and generally bent over backwards to make sure it got finished. It was looking like I might have to delay my departure for Pattaya and miss a couple of days of the conference to get it done, which I really didn't want to have to do, but getting the inlay done at Australian prices when I got home really wasn't an attractive option. It all hinged on whether or not the infection was all gone when Dr Yugo re-opened the tooth on Wednesday, so I was praying madly (and asking others to pray) that it would be OK - and it was. I had been feeling extremely stressed about it for a couple of days, so that was a great relief!
So, 5 appointments later, I got the inlay done this morning - just hours before we leave Chiang Mai! I've uploaded a couple of pics of the entrance and the foyer of the dental surgery, where I spent a significant amount of time over the past week...

No comments:
Post a Comment